One might not believe, but tomatoes also have a “season”. Moreover, they can be grown in this country during August and September without much effort and are especially delicious! “While the authentic “year-round tomato” can be found at the local supermarket, it differs greatly from those available at the weekly farmer’s market”, says Niki Kirsch of the Lëtzebuerger Maarteverband, who is convinced of the top quality Luxembourg’s tomatoes bring to the table.
Currently, more than 10 varieties are available to choose from: cherry tomatoes, yellow (rather sweet) tomatoes, tomato for salad (with less water), black striped tomatoes, “beef-steak” … The experts at the weekly farmer’s market will lead you to the right variety depending on the dish you wish to prepare. For instance, the tomato variety with thin skin is specifically suited for tomato sauces …
Here’s the recipe for a tomato sauce à la Niki Kirsch:
Ingredients (Yields approx. 2 liters of sauce):
- 2 kg tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 small celery
- 3 carrots
- Salt and pepper
- Wash, remove the stalks and chop the tomatoes … celery and carrots.
- Cut an onion and sweat with a little butter in a sauté pan.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, celery and carrots.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours on a low heat. Stir often to avoid burning.
- Once the vegetable chunks have dissolved, gently mash with a hand blender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped garlic only if the sauce is served fresh.
- Freeze or simmer rest of the sauce (without garlic).
Visit the weekly farmer’s market to find tomatoes as well as many other “market-Good Ideas”!